*This post has been sponsored by Hello Fresh
Off and on for the past couple of years I have been using subscription meal kits to help me out with weekly meal planning. I have subscribed to Hello Fresh when life was busy or overwhelming, like at the beginning of the pandemic, or I simply was in a meal rut.
One of my favourite things about using Hello Fresh is that it introduces me to ingredients I didn’t know. In the summer I got one of the Hello Fresh boxes and one of the meals was this Teriyaki Meatball meal with jasmine rice and an easy slaw. I loved it and, most importantly, my kids loved it. To be fair they steered clear of the slaw because they tend to be vegetable averse except in specific circumstances. Foolishly I tossed out the handy recipe card but I was happy to learn that they have many of the recipes that are in their meal kits on their Recipes page on their site. My enjoyment of these meatballs seems to have a popular sentiment because the recipe for the meatballs is also on their Most Popular Recipes page under Japanese recipes.
In the meal kit you often receive little bags of spice mixes to accompany the recipe you have chosen for that week’s meals. In the one for the Teriyaki meatballs, it came with a packet of Japanese spice mixture. I loved the flavours and I wanted to make the recipe again with grocery store items. I was happy to find in the spice section of my grocery store a spice blend called Shichimi Togarashi. It is a Japanese seasoning blend that contains: chili flakes, Szechuan peppercorns, sesame seeds, orange zest, Wasabi powder, and Nori seaweed flakes. It is something that will be regularly used in my kitchen now. It has a lovely fragrance and I think the flavours would work really well with chicken or salmon.
Serves Serves 4
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 500 g Lean Ground Beef
- 2 tbsp Shichimi Togarashi spice blend
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 340 g bag of coleslaw mix (a small bag)
- 1/2 cup snap peas
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a bowl, stir together panko, the Shichimi Togarashi, salt, and 2 tbsp water. Add the beef and mix it all together using your hands.
- Roll the mixture into 16 equal sized meatballs and place them on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cooked through, 10-12 minutes.
- When meatballs are done, heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add teriyaki sauce, 1/2 cup water, and honey. Bring it to boil and add the cooked meatballs. Toss the meatballs to coat them and let the sauce cook down to give it a little glaze.
- Serve over jasmine rice or your favourite white rice cooked according to package instructions.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, and sugar.
- Slice the snap peas lengthwise or leave them whole if you prefer. Toss them together with the bagged coleslaw mix. Pour over the mayo and lime dressing.
Leave a Reply