As I was sitting waiting for an appointment all I could think of were these cookies I saw posted on Wanna Be a Country Cleaver. It was a crazy morning with absolutely rotten weather, so I had to rush out of the house without a coffee or breakfast. I thought that I would have time to drive to Starbucks after dropping Timothy off at preschool but it was pretty rough driving so I had to drive straight to my appointment.
Twitter was my saving grace that morning. It kept me occupied and I had a little chat with Megan over at Country Cleaver. I suggested making her Caramel Macchiato Cookie recipe gluten free. I didn’t want to eat the whole batch of cookies myself so in order to be able to share them Simon I needed to adapt her recipe to being gluten free.
I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free flour for the main base of the cookie but I also used some tapioca flour because it adds some extra crispness. Another change I made to the recipe was to use all melted butter rather than a mix of butter and vegetable oil.
I pressed down the first batch that went in the oven like Megan did with her cookies but they spread too much. They still looked pretty good and they tasted great but it worked better when I just let them spread naturally from the ball formed with the cookie scoop. The last major change is that I used dulce de leche rather than salted caramel. I think making salted caramel will be in my near future but I used what I had on hand and I encourage you to do the same.
Recipe adapted from Wanna Be a Country Cleaver (countrycleaver.com) - Cookies based on the flavours of a Caramel Macchiato coffee from Starbucks.
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar + 1/2 cup for rolling cookies before baking
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder (or instant coffee)
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche or other caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together in a medium bowl the gluten free flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Mix the vanilla and instant coffee and set aside.
- In a stand-mixer with the paddle attachement or with a bowl and hand beaters, beat together the brown sugar, sugar, cream cheese, and melted butter.
- When that is well mixed, beat in the egg and vanilla/coffee mixture.
- Add the flour mixture wet mixture and mix well.
- Using two spoons or a cookie scoop, spoon generous tablespoon size balls of dough onto the sugar set aside for rolling. Roll the dough around the sugar to lightly coat the dough and place it on the baking sheets. Place three across and four down if the pan size permits it.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden on the sides of the cookies. Let them cool on the pan for a minute and then let them finish cooling on a rack.
- Squeeze some dulce de leche or caramel sauce over each of the cookies. Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee.