Jan from Family Bites is about to welcome her third baby boy and along with a slew of bloggers we are celebrating this with a virtual baby shower. Jan is in the part of her pregnancy that feels like it is interminable. There is no comfortable position to sit or lay down, but that baby will come.
I have a five year gap between my two boys so I forgot a lot of what it was like to have a baby in the house. I know Jan has an even bigger gap between this little boy and your other sons, so here is a little list of what my Kit reminded me of that may help jog Jan’s memory:
15 Things You May Have Forgotten About Having a Baby in the House
- getting up in the night still really sucks
- you may as well name your washer & dryer because you will be spending a lot of quality time together
- get a few bottles of stain remover for all that laundry
- have stacks of receiving blankets if you have a spit up machine like both of my little dudes
- you will get sick of watching tv
- boob pain – you know what I mean
- becoming obsessed with poop
- the love and hate relationship with babycenter.ca forums (it’s a trap – stay away)
- those 0-3 month clothes last about a day before he will grow out of them
- the old adage of ‘sleep when the baby sleeps’ is still pretty much impossible to follow through on
- that first real smile is just the best thing in the world
- baby toots are always funny
- 4-8 pm is crazy hectic so plan nothing around that time
- Kijiji or Craigslist is a great place for all that baby gear you kinda want to buy new but know that you shouldn’t
- good God almighty those infant carseats are heavy
Welcome back to the baby trenches, Jan!
Does anyone have anything else to add to my list?
Be sure to visit all the other blogs listed below to read about the delicious treats and snack they all made for the #BabyFamilyBites Virtual Shower.
Rich chocolate madeleines that are a welcome treat with a cup of coffee.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (dutch processed)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 salt
- Melt the butter and set it aside to cool for at least a half hour.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or with electric beaters, beat the eggs with the sugar until they are very pale yellow. This will take 4 or 5 minutes.
- Fold in the flour mixture. When that is nearly all mixed in, pour in the butter and fold that in until it is fully incorporated.
- Put the batter in the fridge for about an hour to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Scoop in approximately 2 tbsp of batter into each well in a madeleine pan. Do not spread the batter, it will melt in the oven. Put the bowl back in the fridge if you don't have enough pans to bake all the batter in one go.
- Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes or until the madeleines are springy to the touch in the centre. If they are still soft and your finger leaves a dent then put them back in the oven for another minute.
- Remove them from the pan and cool them on a rack.
- Cool the pan with cold water before filling the pan again.
Here is the list of all the other blogger participating in the #BabyFamilyBites Virtual Baby Shower – be sure to visit all of them.
Mardi from eat. live. travel. write made blueberry cheesecake macarons
Julie from Dinner with Julie made Meyer lemon scones
Heather from The Tasty Gardener made Cream Puffs with Caramel Cream and Chocolate Pretzel Top
Isabelle from Crumb: A Food Blog made Blackberry Meringue Bars
Jennifer from Seasons and Suppers made Baby Blueberry Beignets
Christina from Strawberries For Supper made Chocolate Madeleines
Aimée from Simple Bites made Roasted Turnip Hummus
Jenny from The Brunette Baker made Wild Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
Liliana from My Cookbook Addiction made mini-cupcakes
Carole from The Yum Yum Factor made Beet and Blue Cheese Canapes
Charmian from The Messy Baker made Piglet Muffins
Amy from Family Feedbag made Marmalade Poke Cake
Brittany from My Daily Randomness made Caramel + Pumpkin Parfait
Meg from Sweet Twist of Blogging made Carrot Apple Loaf
Louisa from Living Lou made Maple Walnut Cookies
Libby from Libby Roach Photography made Butter Baked Good’s Peanut Butter Sandwich cookie
Robyn from Planet Byn made Milk & Cookies Shooters
Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) says
The Tasty Gardener (@TastyGardener) says
Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers says
Jan @ Family Bites says
Louisa [Living Lou] says
Isabelle @ Crumb says
Brittany @ My. Daily. Randomness. says